Be a part of a powerful and positive force for good in our region.
Interested in learning about critical issues facing Greater Hartford’s Black community, awarding grants to help tackle those issues, and meeting new people? The Black Giving Circle Fund provides all of those opportunities.
To create sustainable change in the Black community by leveraging philanthropic efforts of donors and celebrating Black philanthropy.
In September 2014, the community came together to celebrate Black philanthropy in Greater Hartford. Many passion-filled community discussions followed, reflecting a desire to affect change through collaborative giving. From these discussions a permanent endowed fund, the Black Giving Circle Fund, was established on June 1, 2015.
How it works:
- The Black Giving Circle Fund hosts up to three meetings and networking events each year.
These are dynamic programs that highlight pressing issues in the Black community. We have held events led by historians and national figures, as well as meetings of fund members.
- Members review grant applications from area nonprofits.
At the final meeting, members vote on which programs to fund.
- Members make a contribution to the fund on a yearly basis.
Membership runs from January 1 through December 31 of each year. You can join at any time. An annual minimum contribution of $365 is required to vote at the grantmaking meeting. Contributions are tax deductible.
BLACK GIVING CIRCLE Grants by Year:
- 2022: Grants to preserve history and support leadership development for youth
- 2021: Grants to support equitable access to health services and creation of West Hartford monument
- 2020: Grants to support cancer survivors and provide financial literacy training to students and young adults
- 2019: Martial arts, meditation and mindfulness program for Hartford youth
- 2018: Grants to local organizations to support Black youth
- 2017: Financial education for children and youth
- 2016: Literacy proficiency for Black children, birth through third grade (inaugural grant year)
JOIN THE BLACK GIVING CIRCLE TODAY.
Are you ready to join people from across the region who share the values of thoughtful giving?
Join the Black Giving Circle Fund by donating online or email Chari Chester Anderson at email@example.com to pay by check, or for more information.
Black Philanthropy: 5th Anniversary Series
20/20 Vision: Black Philanthropy in Social Justice
On July 8, 2020, in celebration of our 5th Anniversary, the Black Giving Circle presented an online event featuring Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter Nikole Hannah-Jones of the 1619 Project and LaTosha Brown of Black Votes Matter. Click here to read a recap and watch video clips.
Black Philanthropy in Action: Moving toward a more equitable and just society
On September 30, 2020, the Black Giving Circle presented the second discussion in our Black Philanthropy series, featuring panelists Jelani Cobb of The New Yorker, Valaida Fullwood of New Generation of African American Philanthropists and Leah Wright Rigueur, professor at Brandeis and Harvard Kennedy School. Click here to watch a recording of the event.