The Hartford Foundation for Public Giving has established a $100,000 Greater Together Community Fund for the Town of Somers.
The purpose of the Greater Together Community Funds program is to:
- support the community in taking ownership around the needs in their towns
- encourage broad and inclusive civic engagement and
- anchor the Hartford Foundation in each town.
Somers Greater Together Community Fund Announces Inaugural Grant Awards
The following organizations were recipients of inaugural grant awards during October 2021:
- Junior Achievement of Southwest New England Inc. ($4,500) - to support the Economic Empowerment program.
- Somers Community Beautification Org. Inc. ($500) - to support purchase of perennial plants and shrubs for planting around Somers.
- Somers Fire Department ($7,500) - to support the mental health first aid for first responders program.
- Somers Recreation Department ($6,000) - to support the Outdoor Adventures program.
- UR Community Cares Inc. ($1,600) - to support the UR Community Cares in Somers.
The Somers Community Fund advisory committee conducted a community needs assessment beginning January 2021. Residents who responded to the survey identified five priority areas that the Request for Proposals seeks to address:
- Outdoor recreation projects
- Mental health services
- Establish a Farmers’ Market
- Additional after school activities/Teen Center
- Small business development
Any questions can be directed to members of the advisory committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Advisory Committee Members
The role of the Advisory Committee is to design and lead an inclusive process to identify the needs in your community, and design a grantmaking process aimed to ensure that the Community Funds can have the greatest impact for the benefit of town residents.
The Advisory Committee members for your town are:
Tom Davis, Edward DePeau, Danielle Hoague, Teresa Mancini, Allison Maynard, Gail Tishler, Kathy Schiessl, Melanie Stevens, Jan Warnock
For media inquiries, please contact Chris Senecal at email@example.com.