The Hartford Foundation for Public Giving has established a $100,000 Greater Together Community Fund for the Town of Somers.
The purpose of the Greater Together Community Funds program is to:
- support the community in taking ownership around the needs in their towns
- encourage broad and inclusive civic engagement and
- anchor the Hartford Foundation in each town.
Open Call for Grant Applications
The Somers Greater Together Community Fund is pleased to announce a competitive grant opportunity available to nonprofits and municipalities.
A grant from the Somers Greater Together Community Fund must only benefit residents of Somers. Each applying organization may submit more than one proposal, however the maximum total award to an organization is $10,000. The proposal must fall within the priority areas:
- Additional after school activities/Teen Center
- Cultural Activities
- Education for Health Living
- Establish a Farmers’ Market
- Mental health services
- Outdoor recreation projects
- Small business enrichment
Please email completed applications with a program budget to Somerscommunityfund@gmail.com by September 15, 2023.
All questions regarding the grant application must be submitted by September 1, 2023 to Somerscommunityfund@gmail.com.
Somers Greater Together Community Fund Grant Awards
- Scantic River Watershed Association ($5493.44) to support a hands-on experiential activity for those students interested in environmental science, field-based-science, and/or citizen science.
- Somers Fire Department ($3000)- to purchase heated AED cabinets to install public access Automated External Defibrillators 's at Field Road Park and the Field behind the Somers Town Hall.
- Somers Little League ($10,000) to install a well and sprinkler system to allow irrigation of the playing fields and restore them back to safe playing conditions for the Somers Little League program.
- Somers Recreation Department ($7000) to install a Disc Golf Course at Field Road Park.
- Somers SafeGrad ($2500) to provide a safe, alcohol free event on graduation night for the 2023 senior class of Somers High School.
- Somers Youth Services ($5000) to purchase games and equipment for the new youth after school drop-in center.
- Junior Achievement of Southwest New England Inc. ($4,500) - to support the Economic Empowerment program.
- Somers Community Beautification Org. Inc. ($500) - to support purchase of perennial plants and shrubs for planting around Somers.
- Somers Fire Department ($7,500) - to support the mental health first aid for first responders program.
- Somers Recreation Department ($6,000) - to support the Outdoor Adventures program.
- UR Community Cares Inc. ($1,600) - to support the UR Community Cares in Somers.
Any questions can be directed to members of the advisory committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Advisory Committee Members
The role of the Advisory Committee is to design and lead an inclusive process to identify the needs in your community, and design a grantmaking process aimed to ensure that the Community Funds can have the greatest impact for the benefit of town residents.
The Advisory Committee members for Somers:
Edward DePeau, Teresa Mancini, Gail Tishler, Kathy Schiessl, Alicia Smith, and Melanie Stevens
For media inquiries, please contact Chris Senecal at email@example.com.