The Hartford Foundation for Public Giving has established a $100,000 Greater Together Community Fund for the Town of Tolland. $50,000 is available over a period of years for grant opportunities that serve Tolland. $50,000 remains in a permanent endowment. Donations can be made to the Tolland fund here.
The Tolland Greater Together Community Fund aims to:
- support the community needs of Tolland residents.
- encourage broad and inclusive civic engagement.
- maintain a relationship between the Hartford Foundation and Tolland.
Announcing Call for Grant Applications
The Tolland Greater Together Community Fund Advisory Committee has announced an open call for grant applications. The goal is to award grants that will support programs addressing a need that improves the quality of life for the citizens of the Tolland community. Priority in grant funding awards will be given to applications that:
- Increase awareness of and access to existing community mental health resources. And/Or
- Address feelings of isolation, anxiety, and depression within our youth and adult population by supporting the development of positive coping strategies to reduce dependence on drug and alcohol usage within the Tolland Community.
- November 20, 2023 at 8:00N A.M., grant application is available.
- March 1, 2024 at 8:00 P.M., last day for acceptance of grant applications.
- March 29, 2024, notification of grant awards.
- April 21, 2024, funding becomes available.
- Projects that primarily benefit Tolland citizens.
- Non-profit 501(c)3 organizations that serve the citizens of Tolland.
- Tolland individuals or groups of citizens may submit an application in partnership with a registered non-profit organization that has agreed to serve as the fiscal agent for the proposed project.
- 509(a)3 charities and private foundations are not eligible.
- Religious organizations can apply for projects that benefit the broader community but are not for projects religious in nature.
Grant awards are for a minimum of $250 and a maximum of $12,000. Total grant amount awarded will be $20,000.
HOW TO APPLY:
Application can be completed directly online through this LINK
Questions? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Organizations can submit only one application.
Tolland Greater Together Community Fund Grant Awards
Tolland's advisory committee announced inaugural grant awards in May of 2021. A third round of funding was announced in January 2023 to support nonprofit organizations serving Tolland residents.
Awarded organizations can use this online form at the middle and end of their grant period to report on the use of their funds.
- Hockanum Valley Community Council was awarded $10,000 to provide a wider range of transportation options to disabled and elderly residents of Tolland.
- PFLAG Tolland-Mansfiled Inc. was awarded $6,000 purchase educational materials for their meetings, promotional materials for members and events, and materials for a lending library.
- Tolland Alice Enrichment Parthership was awarded $10,000 to support families by subsidizing activity fees for musical instrument lessons, dance classes, sports, field trips, and more.
- Tolland Recreational Department was awarded $2,500 to organize a free outdoor community movie night.
- Tolland Senior Center was awarded $1,800 to purchase a sign-in scanner and software license for two-years.
- ALEC Through Lifeworks was awarded $1,500 to provide training to Tolland first responders for strategies that best serve individuals on the autism spectrum in a crisis situation.
- The Lions Club of Tolland was awarded $5,000 towards the purchase of an eye screening machine to use with preschool to fifth grade students.
- Tolland Education Foundation was awarded $3,000 to implement a First Lego League to Tolland Middle School.
- Tolland Historical Society was awarded $5,000 to support restoration of the bell tower at the Tolland County Courthouse Museum, programs, and events.
- Tolland Library Foundation was awarded $1,500 for the production of A Tolland Oral History project.
Call for Advisory Committee Members
The Tolland Advisory Committee is accepting applications for membership from interested residents from September 5 - November 14, 2023. To be eligible, you must be a resident of Tolland, at least 14 years of age, and not a current elected official of Tolland. Previous experience in community organizations or grantmaking is not required. We are welcoming and encouraging interested residents to apply!
The application can be downloaded here, and the completed form emailed to email@example.com, or completed directly online through this link.
Advisory Committee Members
An advisory committee of Tolland residents has been formed to manage a participatory process to identify Tolland's needs and allocate community funds. The advisory committee has organized and developed a process for providing grants to nonprofit organizations that serve Tolland residents.
The Tolland Community Fund Advisory Committee members include Juliet Carey, Patrick Coffua, Carol Freedman (facilitator), Jerry Griffin, Heather McCann, Celeste Senechal, Kenny Trice, and Sulan Zhang.
The purpose of the Advisory Committee is to:
- learn about needs and opportunities in Tolland;
- promote awareness to Tolland residents of community needs and opportunities;
- decide on priorities for funding to meet those needs;
- recommend grants to be made from the funds set aside by the Hartford Foundation for Public Giving;
- inspire continuing growth in philanthropic giving and volunteer service in our town; and
- solicit contributions to fund future grant awards.
Questions? Please email the Advisory Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.