The Hartford Foundation for Public Giving has established a $100,000 Greater Together Community Fund for the Town of Tolland. $50,000 is available over a period of years for grant opportunities that serve Tolland. $50,000 remains in a permanent endowment. Donations can be made to the Tolland fund here.
The Tolland Greater Together Community Fund aims to:
- support the community needs of Tolland residents.
- encourage broad and inclusive civic engagement.
- maintain a relationship between the Hartford Foundation and Tolland.
Tolland Greater Together Community Fund Grant Awards
Tolland's advisory committee announced inaugural grant awards in May of 2021. A second round of funding was recently announced to support nonprofit organizations serving Tolland residents.
Awarded organizations can use this online form at the end of their grant period to report on the use of their funds.
- ALEC Through Lifeworks was awarded $1,500 to provide training to Tolland first responders for strategies that best serve individuals on the autism spectrum in a crisis situation.
- The Lions Club of Tolland was awarded $5,000 towards the purchase of an eye screening machine to use with preschool to fifth grade students.
- Tolland Education Foundation was awarded $3,000 to implement a First Lego League to Tolland Middle School.
- Tolland Historical Society was awarded $5,000 to support restoration of the bell tower at the Tolland County Courthouse Museum, programs, and events.
- Tolland Library Foundation was awarded $1,500 for the production of A Tolland Oral History project.
Advisory Committee Members
An advisory committee of Tolland residents has been formed to manage a participatory process to identify Tolland's needs and allocate community funds. The advisory committee has organized and developed a process for providing grants to nonprofit organizations that serve Tolland residents.
The Tolland Community Fund Advisory Committee members include Patrick Coffua, Chris Coleman, Carol Freedman, Jerry Griffin (co-chair), Celeste Senechal (co-chair), Peter Sartori, and Andrea Spak.
The purpose of the Advisory Committee is to:
- learn about needs and opportunities in Tolland;
- promote awareness to Tolland residents of community needs and opportunities;
- decide on priorities for funding to meet those needs;
- recommend grants to be made from the funds set aside by the Hartford Foundation for Public Giving;
- inspire continuing growth in philanthropic giving and volunteer service in our town; and
- solicit contributions to fund future grant awards.