The Hartford Foundation Grant Portal
The grant application process begins with a conversation and proceeds as a partnership. Visit our Application Process page to learn more.
How the Grant Portal works
When you reach the Application Phase of our Grantmaking, you will be directed to the Grant Portal by a Hartford Foundation staff. The application will be available in your Request History. To complete the application click "Edit Application."
As you work on your application, it is automatically saved, and can be easily accessed at a later time.
Each account maintains a record of the application history that you can access at any time. To easily view your organization application history, we recommend consolidating all applications into one user account. If you are unsure whether your organization already has an account please contact GrantsAdministration@hfpg.org, provide your agency name, your contact information (name and email) and we will run the verification. (Additional users can be added by Hartford Foundation staff.)
Once a grant is awarded, the Grant Portal allows grantees to easily access the status of their grant, check due dates, and submit electronic grant reports right from their account.
We recommend that you carefully read the instructions and reference materials found on this page before starting your first application.
A user account can only be connected to one organization at a time. If you are a grantwriter for multiple organizations, please contact us to discuss your options.
Helpful tips when applying
- For the best user experience when accessing our Online Grants Manager, we suggest using one of the following browsers: Google Chrome 14 or higher, Firefox 9 or higher, or Safari 4 or higher. It is fine to use Internet Explorer, but you may encounter some minor technical issues.
- We encourage you to read our FAQ section below before beginning the application process and visit the video and written tutorials Applying for Funding and Applicant Dashboard. Please note some items in the Grant Portal may differ from the tutorials.
- Forms are provided throughout the application. Download and save the form to your computer. Once completed, upload the version to the application where requested.
Online Grant Portal: Frequently Asked Questions
For the best user experience when applying for a grant, it is recommended to use Google Chrome 14+ (highly recommended), Firefox 9+, or Safari 4+. You may encounter technical issues if using Internet Explorer to access the Grants Portal.
Our grant application process remains the same. When you are ready to begin the grant seeking process, contact Tara Sundie, Community Investment Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit our application process to learn more about the grantmaking phases at the Hartford Foundation.
For application questions that request an uploaded attachment, click the "Upload a file" button and then choose the desired document from your computer. The file name of the uploaded file will be indicated under the "Upload a file" button. Then save your application (button at the bottom of page). Pay attention to your file names - remove extra periods or replace them with a dash or underscore character. You may only upload one document per question.
The file size limit is noted next to the Upload a file button and the system will not accept files greater than this limit.
There are two ways to remove an uploaded file from an application:
- Once the file has been uploaded, a delete button will appear below the file name. Clicking Delete will remove the file.
- To replace the file, a new file can be uploaded in its place. Simply upload the correct form to the question and the old uploaded form will be erased.
Applicants can only upload a single document in response to an upload question. Appropriate changes to the form will be needed in regards to the uploading criteria.
- File names - Remove extra periods or replace them with a dash or underscore character.
- File size - Files that exceed the maximum file size limit will cause an error. Compress the files
- File type – Some questions only allow a certain type of file to be uploaded (.pdf, .xls, .xlsx, .doc, .docx)
The system will prompt you with an error message detailing the reason so you can make the appropriate changes.