Suffield Projects Receive More Than $80,000 from the Amiel P. Zak Public Service Fund at the Hartford Foundation
Ten Suffield organizations have received grants totaling $80,753 from the Amiel P. Zak Public Service Fund at the Hartford Foundation for Public Giving.
The Fund has a long history of supporting programs that benefit the community of Suffield. In 2002, Michael Zak established the fund to honor the service of his late father, Amiel, a teacher at Suffield High School for 35 years who also served on numerous town boards and civic and public associations. According to Michael, his father often expressed frustration when the town did not have the budget to meet what he considered important community needs.
To date, the Amiel P. Zak Public Service Fund has made 152 grants totaling $1,339,184.
2021 Amiel P. Zak Public Service Fund grant recipients include:
- Suffield 350th Anniversary Committee received a $10,000 grant to support the Suffield 351st Anniversary Celebration fireworks, in addition to a 2020 grant of $24,740 for the Celebrate Suffield film production and flag display at Veterans Memorial Park.
- Boy Scout Troop 66 received a $1,250 grant to purchase tents for its camping programs.
- FIRST Robotics Team - Suffield received $5,119 for the purchase of Table Top Tormach CNC Routing Machines.
- Friends of the Enfield Falls Canal, Inc. received a $3,188 grant to purchase a John Deere X330 Select Series Tractor with 42" Accel Deep Mower Deck.
- Network Against Domestic Abuse of North Central CT, Inc. received a $10,000 grant to support staff salaries for the Community & Youth Outreach Program in Suffield.
- Suffield Firemen’s Association, Inc. received a $10,000 grant to support increased emergency services.
- Suffield Historical Society, Inc. received a $2,000 grant to support the Witness Stones Project in Suffield.
- Suffield Parks and Recreation received a $5,154 grant to purchase two event and exposition tents.
- Suffield Volunteer Ambulance Association, Inc. received a $20,522 grant to purchase a Manikin for training improvement & for six EMT course scholarships.
- The Town of Suffield received a $6,000 to support the Mini Bus Program towards the purchase of a new vehicle.
The Hartford Foundation for Public Giving, established in 1925, is the community foundation for Hartford and 28 surrounding communities. It is dedicated to putting philanthropy into action to create lasting solutions that result in vibrant communities within the Greater Hartford region. The Foundation’s grantmaking is made possible through generous gifts from individuals, families, and organizations. It has awarded grants of more than $795 million since its founding. For more information about the Hartford Foundation for Public Giving, visit www.hfpg.org or call 860-548-1888.