Together, we can GROW OPPORTUNITY through INCLUSION
We have spent the past several years actively listening and learning with residents, donors, and grantees while examining an array of information about the region.
Our engagement and assessment makes clear that the Greater Hartford region must achieve greater racial, geographic and economic inclusion to reach its full potential as a vibrant, thriving and contributing force for regional and state prosperity. We know that persistent disparities affected by Race/Ethnicity, Place and Income serve as barriers to this vision being fully realized.
We commit to bring all that we are as a community foundation – our experience, resources and leadership -- to address these disparities and make opportunities more available to everyone.
A SHARED RESPONSIBILITY
We don’t do this work alone. We will continue to rely upon the core work of our region’s nonprofit organizations and the generosity of our donors to grow opportunity for all residents. We will seek out the talent, resources and perspective of all residents and community partners.
SOME THINGS WON’T CHANGE
Honoring the intent of our donors, being responsive to a broad array of community needs and working collaboratively are embedded in our mission and core values – these cornerstones of the Hartford Foundation will not change.
SOME THINGS MUST CHANGE
Talent is everywhere, but opportunity is not. We will:
- Increase our time in the community to listen and learn directly from the people and places impacted by our work.
- Prioritize our grantmaking and other activities in areas where we find the greatest disparities in outcomes based on race/ethnicity, place and income.
- Be more data-driven and outcomes-focused, monitoring and adjusting our approaches as we learn, and sharing broadly the challenges and progress in real-time so that we can co-create a vision for the region’s future.
- Partner more closely with the grantees, donors and residents that we know while opening the Foundation’s door to the stakeholders that we have yet to meet.
GROWING OPPORTUNITY THROUGH INCLUSION
We will prioritize three interrelated areas:
- Education and Skill Attainment from Birth to Career because this is the bedrock of future success for all residents in our region.
- Community Safety because all should feel safe where they live and work.
- Community and Economic Development because growth in our region should benefit all residents.
We will partner closely with Arts and Culture organizations and those providing Basic Human Needs to support ways that their work can contribute to addressing disparities.
We will also employ two new tools to grow opportunity through inclusion:
- Our new subsidiary, HFPG Impact! Greater Hartford will promote transformative and inclusive community and economic development through a range of financial tools beyond, and complementary to, traditional grants.
- 29 Greater Together Community Funds will support communities in taking ownership around needs in their towns, encourage broad and inclusive civic engagement and anchor the Foundation in each of the towns.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Our strategic framework is informed by an array of information about the Greater Hartford region and the Foundation's Core Values that include diversity, equity and inclusion. Learn more about our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion work.
We extend an open and ongoing invitation to join us in this work. We want to hear about approaches, partnerships and experiences that increase our collective understanding about the impact of disparities and the paths to inclusive opportunity.
Stay tuned over the next weeks and months – check our website and social media as we share information about our latest strategic direction and organizational priorities. You can sign up below to be notified of new content added to our website here.
Stay Informed About Our New Strategic Plan
Interested in being kept up-to-date about our new Strategic Plan? Submit your information below to receive ongoing updates.