Gifts of all sizes can make a lasting impact when given to a fund at the Hartford Foundation. Do you have a cause you care about? Are you interested in joining a giving circle? With three giving circles and more than 1,000 permanent funds to choose from, the Foundation provides opportunities for all donors to find and support a cause they find meaningful.
Reasons to Give
The reason you decide to support a fund is a personal one. Contributions are often given to:
- Honor a birth
- Celebrate a marriage
- Commemorate a special occasion
- Give in memory of a loved one
- Support a cause you care about
However you decide to give, you will be helping the Foundation enhance the quality of life for residents in the Greater Hartford region.
Make a contribution to help the Foundation fund projects, organizations and collaborations that show promise of substantial and sustainable community benefit.
Your gifts of any size are pooled into this fund and support the full range of the Foundation's grants. Gifts can be credited to you or a loved one. If your cumulative gift total reaches $10,000 over time, you can transfer it to an individually named fund for broad unrestricted purposes, preserving your family name forever.
Help worthy students further their education. Your contributions support scholarship awards for residents of the Greater Hartford region. Awards are currently $3,000 per year, renewable for up to three years, for a total of up to $12,000. Awards can be used for tuition, books, and room and board.
Awards are made to graduating high school seniors who are:
- Residents of, or attending school in, Greater Hartford;
- Enrolled full time in a four-year college or university in the fall after graduation;
- In the top third of their class academically;
- In need of financial aid; and
- Involved as volunteers in school, community, or other extracurricular activities.
Many donors choose to support this fund with a named award. If your gifts to the fund total $10,000 or more over time, you may also name one or more awards in perpetuity. With a more sizeable gift, you can create an Individual Scholarship Fund and name specific selection criteria.
Help Greater Hartford area students pursue an education – and job training – at a community college in the region. Currently, this fund awards scholarships that are renewable for up to two additional years to graduating high school seniors.
As an incentive to complete an associate’s degree, the awards will increase for each of the three years, from $750, to $800, to $1,000. If the student completes community college in two years, the award for the third year is available to attend a four-year institution.
Students must meet the following criteria:
- Be a graduating high school senior or adult learner who attends school in or lives in Greater Hartford
- Be entering a community college within Greater Hartford with a minimum enrollment of six credits (two courses)
- Have financial need
- Be a volunteer in the community, school, or have other extracurricular activities (may include jobs)
You can choose to contribute to a specific fund or scholarship that is meaningful to you.
To search the Foundation’s existing funds, go to the Donate page. There, you can search by keyword (fund name, town or description), or explore funds in various topics of interest, including:
- Arts, Culture, History
- Broad Support for Greater Hartford
- Children and Youth
- Giving Circles
- Health and Special Needs
- Other Interest Areas
- Specific Agencies
Ready to contribute?
To support a specific fund or one of the Foundation’s general funds, go to the Donate page. Select a general fund or Giving Circle fund from the list, or follow the instructions to search for a specific fund.