On Monday, January 22, we kicked off our GreaterTogether Listening Tour 2018 at AHM Youth and Family Services in Hebron. About 30 residents from Andover, Bolton, Hebron and Marlborough participated in our first community conversation, which was moderated by Jay Williams, president of the Hartford Foundation. After a short introduction and video presentation, the floor was opened to give those who attended the opportunity to share issues and ideas that are important to their towns.
Here are a few things we learned throughout the course of the evening:
- Each of these towns have remarkable resources, such as bike paths, hiking trails, and other services, like AHM Youth and Family Services. How can they be more fully utilized to benefit the community?
- Libraries continue to be an important resource to the community and a hub for community supports.
- The residents shared stories about times when the community came together to help others through hardships, such as a house fire. Wouldn’t it be nice if there were community funds to support the unanticipated needs of neighbors and to seed progress within the towns?
- Right now, these towns would like help coordinating planning for the big changes, such as designating and developing a town center. Long-term town planning is a roadblock, due to lack of resources and the need for someone to take on a convening role.
- There is a want to find opportunities for residents in individual and neighboring towns to come together and creatively identify solutions to community needs across multiple generations.
- Volunteerism in Andover, Hebron, Bolton and Marlborough is waning. How can we help to inspire people to give of their time and serve their community?
Thank you to everyone who attended our first Listening Tour event! Our next stop is the Rockville Public Library in Vernon on February 26. Join us!
Live Doodle: Andover / Bolton / Hebron / Marlborough
Constanza Segovia of Veo Veo Design attended our Listening Tour forum in Hebron and created this live doodle during the event, capturing the highlights of the conversation.
Click for expanded view
Click here to view full photo gallery on Facebook