Follow these six steps to bring your philanthropic goals to life:
- Think about your goals. What do you want your giving to accomplish? Answering these questions should help you give shape to your philanthropic goals. Discuss these objectives with your family and financial advisors. The Foundation's staff can also join these conversations to help you craft or clarify your philanthropic vision.
- Choose the causes you want to support. Support the community’s greatest needs as they change over time, or focus on issues you care about. Because the Foundation’s grantmaking is focused in Greater Hartford, we know the various nonprofit organizations in our area. We can suggest organizations that might be a good fit in your areas of interest.
- Know your giving options. Learn about the strengths and weaknesses of various charitable giving options to determine your best gift. If you are considering a private foundation, review our chart on alternatives (PDF).
- Consider when to give. Your unique situation will help determine if you should establish a fund now or later in your life, make a bequest in your will, or combine these options. We can help you determine the approach that will best meet your goals and needs, now and as your situation changes.
- Decide what to give. You can give different types of assets to start or build your fund at the Foundation. Options include cash, securities, real estate, or other types of property.
- Work with us to develop your plan. The Foundation provides a number of types of funds and Giving Circles. Our experienced staff can work with you to develop a flexible plan that meets your philanthropic goals.
Gift and Fund Acceptance Policies are available upon request.