Vice President of Communications & Marketing
Since 1925, generous individuals and families have trusted the Hartford Foundation for Public Giving to help them make a lasting, positive impact for their community for their own and future generations. Having recently completed its new strategic plan, the Foundation is poised to move to an even greater level of impact and growth that will enhance the organization’s reputation and external profile as a trusted steward, collaborator and innovator.
The Hartford Foundation is seeking a Vice President of Communications and Marketing at a critical time in its history and a pivotal moment for the region. We are searching for a change agent who is passionate about the organization’s mission, committed to a cross- disciplinary and entrepreneurial culture, and farsighted about its future potential.
The Vice President of Communications and Marketing provides strategic vision, leadership and oversight of all communications and marketing activities to support the Hartford Foundation’s mission and work. S/he ensures that the Foundation’s communications and marketing programs build and sustain awareness of and engagement with the Foundation among donors, potential donors and other funding partners, professional advisors, nonprofit organizations’ boards and staff, business, and Greater Hartford residents, as well as civic and opinion leaders.
The VP will be a part of a six member executive leadership team, reporting directly to the President. Successful collaboration with fellow members of the leadership team is an essential requirement. An assertive, yet “customer-centric” approach to the responsibilities of this leadership position is also an indispensable necessity.
The successful candidate will bring a strategic vision for the communications and marketing function and beyond. S/he will be a proven innovator with the imagination and the implementation skills to engage with the Foundation’s stakeholders through multiple channels. S/he will facilitate innovative and forward-thinking collaborations in support of the Foundation’s mission
The successful candidate will have an open, collaborative and highly communicative leadership style; a strong command of marketing and communications tools and proven expertise in applying those tools to advance the mission, message, and voice of the Foundation. Demonstrated success in leadership, coaching, and empowering of department staff as well as stewardship of departmental resources are also essential for this position.
Strategy, Vision, Collaboration and Leadership
- Provide strategic vision, leadership and oversight of all communications and marketing activities to support the Hartford Foundation’s mission and work;
- Work collaboratively with senior leadership to ensure communications and marketing programs build and sustain awareness of and engagement with the Foundation and all of its constituents;
- Contribute to the development of the Foundation’s strategic plan and work plans as well as the overall leadership and management of the organization;
- Serve as the Foundation’s primary point of contact with the media and communication
- Oversee, direct and organize the work of the Communications and Marketing staff and consultants, promoting a culture of collaboration, engagement and high quality performance that values learning and diversity and inclusion;
- Mentor and develop staff, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities and monitor and evaluate results;
- Ensure staff members receive timely and appropriate performance feedback, recognition, training and professional development.
Communications and Marketing Operations
- Oversee external communications including overall direction for content, production and distribution of all print and electronic communications;
- Manage department budget;
- Direct the Foundation’s web and online presence;
- Support Foundation’s staff, particularly the President, by writing speeches, informal remarks for events and preparing presentation materials;
- Oversee the planning and execution of community and convening events.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications or a related field
- Ten years of demonstrated experience in a communications and marketing environment that stresses positive change, high visibility and measurable impact
- Five years of successful experience leading a communications and marketing functions for a complex, highly visible organization
- Broad and deep understanding of a variety of communications disciplines including writing and editing, oral presentations, branding, messaging, media relations, public relations and social media
- Proven ability to work collegially and collaboratively with highly competent subordinates and peers across all departments of an organization and with boards of directors
- Demonstrated commitment to community service and philanthropy
To apply, please email a cover letter describing your interests and background match to our needs, your salary requirements and your resume: HumanResources@hfpg.org
For best consideration, application materials must be received by Friday, April 5, 2019, 5:00 pm EST.
For more information about the Hartford Foundation for Public Giving, please visit our website: www.hfpg.org
HARTFORD FOUNDATION FOR PUBLIC GIVING IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER RELYING ON A DIVERSE GROUP OF INDIVIDUALS AND THEIR RESPECTIVE TALENTS TO ACHIEVE OUR MISSION
Hartford Foundation for Public Giving is an equal opportunity employer relying on a diverse group of individuals to achieve our mission.