For more than 90 years, generous individuals and families have trusted the Hartford Foundation for Public Giving to help them make meaningful contributions to their community for present and future generations.
As the Senior Officer, External Communications and Community Engagement, you will help broaden awareness and deepen understanding of the Hartford Foundation for Public Giving to encourage action among our key stakeholders. You will be part of a team of marketing communications professionals who have a passion for their work and thrive in a collaborative, fast paced environment.
If you are creative, proactive and have broad marketing communication experience and are, enthusiastic about making a real difference in our community, please consider applying for this position.
- Supervises the planning and execution of all external communications, particularly paid advertising and media initiatives and sponsorships to support strategic plan goals and other Foundation initiatives. Manages budget, contracts, creative and media with effective follow-through and accuracy.
- Provides oversight on all media relations activities, ensuring regular and proactive outreach to media outlets and clear linkages to our strategic priorities, including state-wide and national partnerships; reviews all media releases to ensure a high degree of quality control. Assists grantees with disseminating news about Foundation grants and the work supported by those grants to maximize the Foundation's visibility and community-building efforts.
- Leads all foundation-wide community engagement efforts, including planning of major Foundation events, crafts and edits speeches and talking points for Foundation president, board and staff members. Helps prepare for community presentations to a variety of audiences, including donors, civic and professional groups, and agency leaders. Tasks include research, development, writing, editing and creating visuals using PowerPoint, etc.
- Supports marketing communication planning efforts; ensure goals and timing are met.
- Supports digital communications, including broadcast email, assists with web projects, and updates website content to ensure accurate and visually appealing e-communications for the Foundation's constituents.
- Bachelor's degree in related field or equivalent experience.
- 7-10 years of experience with significant accomplishments in advertising, media, and/or public relations.
- Evidence of thriving in high-speed, multiple-task environment, demonstrating flexibility and adaptability, delivering quality results within deadline and on budget.
- Evidence of creativity in problem solving, excellent time and project management skills, as well as budget preparation and management.
- Demonstrated ability to translate complex ideas and detailed information into fresh, compelling and meaningful ideas.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Attention to detail, track record of achieving impeccable quality control
- Consistent demonstration of the highest standards of professional ethics, respect for business and personal confidentiality, and discretion.
- Track record of working both independently and as an effective team member and team leader.
- Demonstrated ability to relate comfortably and supportively to diverse co-workers, donors, grantees and vendors.
- Proficiency in interactive communications tools (content management systems, video editing software, and social media) and HTML, InDesign, all social media tools is very desirable.
- Expert level skills in Microsoft Office applications; with record of learning and using new software applications.
- Curiosity, eagerness to learn, high energy, and resilience, along with a sense of humor and optimistic approach to challenges.
- Post-graduate studies a plus.
- Involvement in civic or volunteer service a plus.
To apply: Please send your resume and cover describing your interest in and qualifications for this position, as well as your salary expectations, to:
Ms. Yobie Santana, Human Resources Assistant
Hartford Foundation for Public Giving is an equal opportunity employer, requiring a diverse group of individuals to achieve our mission.
For more information about the Foundation, please visit our website, www.hfpg.org
Leading Grants Operations at the Hartford Foundation is an opportunity to make a positive difference in our community by ensuring that all grant applications, awards, processing of payments and record keeping are efficient, accurate, and in compliance with Foundation policies/protocols and IRS regulations.
In this role, you will develop budgets and grantmaking forecasts for 2,000+ grants from 1,300 funds annually and provide standard and special reports and analysis of grantmaking data and trends.
In this position, you will report to the Senior Vice President and be responsible for:
- Developing and monitoring grantmaking budgets, reporting spending to management and providing information, analyses, about grants data
- Maintaining the grants database and data integrity, ensuring that the system provides both routine and special reports which are timely and accurate
- Approving grantee reports and payments in compliance with grantmaking protocols
- Supervising grants management staff to accomplish departmental goals and to provide exceptional services for Foundation staff and grantees
- Responding to grantee inquiries on Foundation grant policies and practices
- Leading the development, implementation, and maintenance of grantmaking processes and procedures in compliance with field’s best practices and regulatory requirements
Requirements for this position include:
- Minimum 7 years experience managing financial/accounting operations with demonstrated skills in database management and data analysis
- Proven ability to communicate clearly and effectively to a variety of audiences (internal and external) to ensure understanding and compliance with grantmaking procedures
- 3 -5 years supervisory experience
- Working knowledge of philanthropy, best practices and the nonprofit sector
- Demonstrated ability to consistently acquire new knowledge and skills to enhance performance
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related area
If you are committed to making Greater Hartford an exceptional place to live, work and enjoy vibrant communities, and you meet the requirements listed above, we would like to hear from you. Please send a letter describing why this position is a great fit for your background and your interests, along with your resume and salary requirements to:
Human Resources Department,
Hartford Foundation for Public Giving
Hartford Foundation for Public Giving is an equal opportunity employer whose diversity among our staff and volunteers is essential to our mission.