6 Simple Steps to Get Started
Are you ready to create a personalized giving plan that’s right for you and your family? These steps can help you get started.
- Think about your goals: What do you want your giving to accomplish? Discuss these objectives with your family and financial advisors. You can start by answering these questions. The Hartford Foundation's staff has years of experience in helping people craft or clarify their philanthropic vision and can join you in these conversations, if you choose.
- Consider your giving options: Become informed about the strengths and weaknesses of various charitable giving options to determine your best gift. If you are considering a private foundation, review our chart on alternatives (PDF, 63KB).
- Consider when to give: Based on your situation, it might be best for you to establish a fund now or later in your life, make a bequest in your will, or a combination of all. We can help you determine the approach that will best meet your goals and needs, now and as your situation changes.
- Choose what causes you want to support: Choose to support the community's greatest needs as they change over time, or focus on issues that you care about. And, because the Foundation's grantmaking is focused in Greater Hartford, we understand the various nonprofit organizations in our area. If you wish, the Foundation can suggest organizations that might be a good fit for giving in your areas of interest.
- Decide what to give: You can give a number of different types of assets to start or build your fund at the Hartford Foundation. Options include cash, securities, real estate, or other types of property.
- Work with us to develop your plan: The Hartford Foundation has a number of different types of funds and giving circles. By working with our experienced staff, you can develop a flexible plan to help you meet your philanthropic goals.
For more information, or to begin the conversation about your philanthropic vision, contact us at 860-548-1888, firstname.lastname@example.org, or submit an information request form.